Re: offline core file analysis from a PPC 440GX target on my Solaris hostsystem

On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 03:56:58AM -0800, Marc Paloma wrote:
> Daniel,
>
> If I compile a version of GDB 6.0 with
> --host=sparc-solaris2.8 and --target=powerpc-sun-elf,
> what kind of PowerPC processor support will I get?  Is
> 440GX included among the PowerPC processors that is
> supported by GDB 6.0?

GDB does not usually care at all what specific processor is targeted.

I believe all of the 440GX's instructions will be disassembled
more-or-less correctly.

> In terms of the core file, is it possible to create an
> ELF core image to represent the memory regions
> belonging to the 440GX process image?  This core image
> will be writing to a filesystem which then can be
> ftp'ed to a UNIX environment where I can use GDB to
> analyze the dump.  I'm hoping that I can reconstruct
> the executable from the core dump using the actual ELF
> binary application and the ELF core dump.  Once the
> core is loaded into GDB, I'm hoping that GDB will be
> able to figure out the stack and disassemble the
> opcodes.  How does GDB figure out stack information of
> a a.out core dump?  Are the dump notes that you were
> refering to correlate to the text and data sections?

I can only suggest you investigate the format of ELF core files, in bfd
and GDB, and compare it to what VxWorks gives you.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz