Re: async operation

No response on this - so I am going to change GDB so that it will correctly handle an "interrupt" command to stop the inferior when in async mode.

Well you did post on a Saturday ;-)

I tried using the "stop" command which makes it through the async filtering in top.c - however stop simply says it is not a valid command. There is logic in here for cleanly stopping when a break occurs (?) but I can't find any to allow the operator to stop the target?

I think the description for "stop" explains why that does nothing:

if (!dbx_commands)
stop_command =
add_cmd ("stop", class_obscure, not_just_help_class_command, "There is no
`stop' command, but you can set a hook on `stop'.\n\
This allows you to set a list of commands to be run each time execution\n\
of the program stops.", &cmdlist);

I add'ed "interrupt" to the filtering but it does not clear the target_executing flag.

You should see "fetch_inferior_event" clear that flag after it's received notification that the target really has stopped.

Andrew