GDB can't read core files on this machine.

Hi;

  I've looked for this error msg via www.google.com

  GDB can't read core files on this machine.

  I obtain several hits, but this one is interesting:

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/gdb/2001-06/msg00056.html

  I recently compiled an i686-pc-linux-gnu gdb using gdb 6.0 and a cross gdb
for arm9 using gdb 6.0.  Both of these gdb binaries were unable to to look at
an arm9 corefile.

  When will gdb be able to look at corefiles from a target platform which is
not identical to the host platform?

  I've tried to work around this problem by trying to create a native arm9 gdb
from gdb 6.0, but it creates an i686 gdb binary...

Thanks in advance for any help,
Ken