Real time metrics in GDB

Hi all
I've been evaluating the GNU tool flow against native tools for ARM
processors.  One stumbling block I've come up against is when trying to do
real time performance analysis.

I know that the gdb simluator provides info registers "cycles", "time" and
"insts" for the Z8000.  In the absence of these registers for other
targets, how can real time metric analysis be done (in particular for ARM)
using the GNU tool flow?

thanks for your time and info!
marcas

Mark Dunn