Re: GDB 6.0 Branch and ARM Multithreading Support

On Fri, Sep 05, 2003 at 02:32:41PM +0100, Chris.Pedley@arm.com wrote:

> On 01/09/2003 17:25:01 gdb-owner wrote:
> >On Mon, Sep 01, 2003 at 11:31:36AM +0100, Chris.Pedley@arm.com wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I've cross compiled the GDB 6.0 branch for ARM Linux (host=arm-linux
> >> target=arm-linux build=i686-linux) and can't get it to debug a
> >> multithreaded program.  Attempting to debug a program that creates a
> thread
> >> results in:
> >>
> >> Program received signal SIG32, Real-time event 32.
> >> 0x0000f2c0 in __sigsuspend (set=0xbffffc9c)
> >>
> >> I've linked the program statically against unstripped libraries as I am
> >> aware that people have had trouble debugging multithreaded applications
> >> using a stripped pthread library.
> >>
> >> Any suggestions as to what is wrong?
> >
> >Does it display any messages about loading libthread_db?  Does it
> >successfully map the library?
>
> I don't get any messages about loading libthread_db, the only worrying
> message is GDB starts up with:
> "Symbol `PC' has different size in shared object, consider re-linking"
>
> The test application presumably doesn't need to map libthread_db because
> its linked statically?  cat /proc/<gdb pid>/maps includes:

             ^^^^^^^^^^

You didn't mention that :)  It doesn't work.  I have a patch which
works around the problem but it's quite hideous - attached, but I'm not
going to submit it.  I couldn't find a good way to fix the problem
without either breaking core files, or rewriting the target stack.

> >I tested native thread debugging on ARM recently (~ week ago) and it
> >worked.  If you are using glibc 2.3.2 you will need the patch I sent
> >to this list and libc-alpha a week or two ago.
>
> The library I'm building against, and in my ARM Linux filesystem are both
> glibc 2.3.  Does this need patching?

I don't know.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz