remote debugging

Hello,

Can any body explain the remote debugging application in Linux. currently for testing purpose as simple case, I have chosen two i686 Pentium machines with Linux
installed on two systems. on system I am running gdb and in another system I am running gdb server. I did the following steps.

Target:
gdbserver host:port program

//Now gdbserver has been started

Host:

// I compiled the simple hello word program as gcc -g program.c -o program
// copied the program into target system

gdb program
gdb> target remote host:port
gdb>

// connection established
gdb> load

// it is showing loading the sections, I m not sure the addresses from local machine or from target machine ( how can I verify ? in our case,sicne both machine
are same architecture and same OS)

I can set break point to main.

if I do step or next, I am getting the error message "cannot find bounds of current function"

if I do continue, I am getting the error message " program received SIGSEGV, segmentation fault"

can anybody tell me where is the wrong ?

Is there anything's need to be take care while building the gdb in one machine. ? currently I am using the default gdb installed in machine due to both machine are same architecture.

Regards
Brijesh Shukla