Connect to already running target?

Is it possible to connect to an already running remote target with
"target remote" and/or "target async"?

As of GDB 5.0, the answer appears to be no, unless I've just not hit
on the right incantation.  If the initial '?' packet gets a 'T'
response, of course GDB assumes the target is stopped.  If it gets an
"O" response (which the docs seem to suggest should work), it treats
it as a fatal packet error and a failed connection.  If it gets an
empty reply, it reports a packet error but then appears to be waiting
for the target to stop (or just a further reply).  But trying to
interrupt the target with ctrl-C doesn't work - the ctrl-C packet is
apparently not sent.  Same result if it gets *no* reply, but without
the packet error mesage.

I searched the list archive, but all I came up with is a post from
Andrew dated August 2002 RE dropping "target cisco" support, where he
mentioned that the cisco target supported connecting to a running
target and this should be integrated into the standard remote
targets.  Has that happened yet?

- Fred