Re: alphafbsd_use_struct_convention

Richard Henderson <rth@redhat.com> writes:

> Can anyone tell me where this function came from?

I added the function back in 2001.

> Unless the freebsd folk have some private hack to
> their gcc, it's wrong...

Do you mean that the implementation of the function isn't entirely
correct, or that it is wrong that we have this function at all for
FreeBSD.  I believe you when you say that the implementation isn't
quite correct: I don't understand exactly how GCC determines which
structures it passes in registers.  However, I do think that we do
need alphafbsd_use_struct_convention.  In gcc/config/alpha/freebsd.h
we have:

/* Don't default to pcc-struct-return, we want to retain compatibility with
   older FreeBSD releases AND pcc-struct-return may not be reentrant.  */

#undef  DEFAULT_PCC_STRUCT_RETURN
#define DEFAULT_PCC_STRUCT_RETURN 0

which means that it doesn't use the same convention as the other alpha
targets.

Mark