Re: GDB 6

I don't really need frame-begin. The problem that I have, however, is that
frame-begin (and other annotations) are issued *before* stopped. This meant
that sometimes Emacs thought that frame details output by Gdb were output by
the inferior and so they were displayed in the IO buffer. I can only reproduce
this problem now with tbreak where a typical annotation sequence (avoiding
many repeats) looks like:

frames-invalid
breakpoints-invalid
starting                <--
frames-invalid
breakpoints-invalid
frame-begin etc         <--
source
frame-end
stopped                 <--

The testsuite now looks like:

(gdb)
^Z^Zprompt
PASS: gdb.base/annota3.exp: breakpoint info
run

^Z^Zpost-prompt
Starting program: /home/scratch/PENDING/2003-03-11-ann-3/N-powerpc-unknown-netbs
d1.6/gdb/testsuite/gdb.base/annota3

^Z^Zframes-invalid

^Z^Zframes-invalid

^Z^Zbreakpoints-invalid

^Z^Zstarting

^Z^Zframes-invalid

^Z^Zframes-invalid

^Z^Zframes-invalid

^Z^Zframes-invalid

^Z^Zbreakpoint 1

Breakpoint 1, main () at /home/scratch/PENDING/2003-03-11-ann-3/src/gdb/testsuit
e/gdb.base/annota3.c:32

^Z^Zsource /home/scratch/PENDING/2003-03-11-ann-3/src/gdb/testsuite/gdb.base/ann
ota3.c:32:323:beg:0x1800bc8

^Z^Zstopped

^Z^Zpre-prompt
(gdb)

Does this help? You get ^Z^Zbreakpoint 1 when the target hits that breakpoint.

Using break instead of tbreak, the breakpoint annotation is issued before
frame-begin which tells Emacs that output is now from Gdb and not the
inferior.

There are other places that could gain events if needed.

Before frame-begin is deleted, can Gdb issue another annotation (stopping ?)
prior to printing frame details so that Emacs will always understand that this
is output from Gdb?

Also Emacs doesn't need prompt-for-continue.

Ok.

Andrew