Re: srcdir == objdir build issues [SC take note]

> Did anybody not like this approach? I was surprised this did not go in.

I had misgivings about a setup where you tell the software to do one
thing, and it does something completely different.  It also added a
maintenance headache for the "synthetic" top-level Makefile, since
every target in the real Makefile would have to be replicated (and
maintained - for ever).  It's far easier to just tell the user to
build elsewhere.