Re: expected behavior of GNU/Linux gcore and corefiles

On Sat, Mar 01, 2003 at 10:39:00PM -0500, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

> My instincts tell me that, to completly implement the above > functionality, GDB is always going to need libthread-db. If GDB could > implement the above on a core file without using libthread-db, then GDB > could also implement the above on a live target also without using > libthread-db. This is because a core file is always going to contain a > subset of the information made available via ptrace et.al.

Oh, and one other thing that I like to mention when this comes up.  My
motivational issue.  Thread_db is not, and can't/shouldn't be,
available in a cross environment.  We have done a lot of work to make
GDB read corefiles in a cross environment; and at MontaVista we've seen
a large demand for this functionality from our customers.  So using
thread_db with corefiles doesn't meet our (GDB developers') goals, I
think.

Sorry, on this point, I'm lost. What are you suggesting here?

Andrew