Re: very very slow symbol searches

On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 06:45:51PM -0800, Martin M. Hunt wrote:
> > Sigh, let me gues, is your host glibc version 2.3?  The regex engine
> > was rewritten, not always for the better.
>
> I'm running unmodified RH8.0
> ~> rpm -q glibc
> glibc-2.2.93-5

Yes, that has the new regex engine.  Glibc 2.3.1 and 2.3-cvs have some
substantial performance improvements.  What's the regex in question
anyway?

> > Some performance issues were fixed recently in the glibc CVS.
>
> That doesn't help much.  What was wrong with having GDB on all platforms
> using the standard libiberty regex?

Libiberty is there to augment deficiencies in the system libraries, not
to replace them; all the normal advantages of using shared libraries
apply to using libiberty only when necessary.  For instance, you will
probably be able to upgrade to 8.1 eventually and have the regex issues
automatically fixed.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz