RE: Porting GDB - Where to start?

>> 1. Why is xstormy16 the best place to start?.
>
>Being fairly new, and for a relatively straightforward architecture, it
>doesn't come with much baggage.  It's roughly 1000 lines long, while the
>MIPS is a wopping 6000 lines!

Ok! - I had the impression it had more than 200Kb of source code. Is it
because a lot of the code is similar from target to target, and doesn't need
much change? (I assume you mean a 1000 lines of code which has to be more or
less produced)

>> 2. Since I can't use GCC to make target specific code for a C55x I must use
>> CCS (Code Composer Studio) from TI. What could a "got-ya" be?.
>
>There is a good chance that after you've kind of got the target `mostly'
>working, you will spend time debugging problems in the symtab code.
>This is because, when it comes to debug info, no two compilers are
>alike.   Consequently, is a very good chance that GDB won't properly
>handle the debug info being output by this compiler.
>
>Anyway, a first step is to find out what the debug info is and if GDB
>has any support for it at all ....  One way is to compile a simple
>program using `-g -S' and then look at the assembler that is created.
>If it contains ``.stabn'' lines its stabs, if it contains ``.debug_...''
>symbols it's dwarf2 (or dwarf1?).  Beyond that, you may want to post the
>contents here.

In CCS you have the option to use COFF or DWARF. I was planning on using COFF,
because I have noticed some C54x COFF file thingies in the BFD, which could be
usable :-D. Do you know if they are?.

>(btw, anyone got an easier way of identifying the debug info?)

Not me :-D