Hacking a defined simulator,or connecting an existing one

I want to know, what should I do to use a simulator with Gdb. E.g. the Arm
one. I tried the command : target sim , and that doesn't work. That option is
not defined in the help... why?? The reason why I want to know what to make in
order to use gdb with a simulator, is that later I will change anything (I
don't know what , right now) to use another simulator , that's not Arm , other
Fujitsu... not defined in the gdb files. Any ideas???
Coul you tell me step by step whay should I do to run the Arm , other better a
motorola simulator with gdb?? And later, which files may I modify to define
and compile the simulator for my own processor (a hyperstone e1)
Thanks!!!
Miguel