Re: gdbserver and the gdb "load" command for remote target

On Tue, Oct 08, 2002 at 10:57:59AM -0700, Mike Roman wrote:
> I have one problem. I want to be able to dynamically
> be able to load new test program to the target using
> gdb. Assuming I don't have the executable for the test
> program already stored in the target (for example, I
> want to test a new testprogram#2), can I use gdb to
> transfer it to the target and debug it? And after
> gdbserver to run this program?

No, you can't.  gdbserver does not support this.  It's not practical
to, in the presence of things like dynamic linking.

> When invoking the server program, it requires the name
> of the program to debug, and it seems that you can not
> at later time try to load (or change to) a different
> program than the originally given to gdbserver? If
> this is true, then the gdb "load" command is not very
> useful.

Right.  Using load is not useful for server targets.

Wolfgang posted patches to support a daemon mode for gdbserver that
would allow things like this, but he never pursued copyright assignment
for them.  So they went nowhere.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz