Re: Problem debugging SOs

Kevin Buettner wrote:

On Aug 26, 11:43am, Iztok Kobal wrote:

I was starting to think that the problem was related to the gcc stub info generation and I am going to try a gcc-3.0.4 instead of a 2.95.x which came with my SuSE distro. Please spare me the time and tell me if it would not work either !

I don't know.  I'm actually surprised that you're still having
problems.  Clearly there's some kind of mismatch somewhere, but I
don't know where.  When you figure out what it is, let me know!

Well, I took the sources for the gdb-5.0 from the original SuSE 7.0 distro, applied the patches found through the links that you have given and it seems that the gdb-5.0-SOpatched works as it should regarding the SO debugging. As well as the program debugging flow controls for the gcc-2.95.2 compiled code.

I have tried to apply gcc-3.2 but I could not manage to compile KDevelop-made project anymore for some reason so it is still unknown to me why the gdb-5.2.1 does not work properly.

If you are still willing to make some suggestions, Kevin, let us start from the scratch:

I have downloaded the gdb-5.2.1 sources from the ftp.gnu.org.
platform: i386 Linux SuSE 7.0
./configure (autodetected platform was i686-pc-linux-gnu)
make
did not make install
instead copy/rename gdb to the /usr/bin/gdb-5.2.1
in the /usr/bin ln -s gdb-5.2.1 gdb
code to be debugged was compiled with the gcc-2.95.2 -g3

No more problems seem to be directly related to the SO debugging
New problem with gdb-5.2.1 is that the <Step Into> (gdb step) behaves as if it was the <Step Over) (gdb next) even in the simplest (statically linked single .c) projects.

Is there some problem with the ./configure or should I make install instead of simple copy ? Or simply the gcc version was inappropriate ?

As already written, I have suspected that the problem is related to the stub information that the gcc-2.95.2 created for me. So I intended to use the gcc-3.2 instead but I have given up because either gcc-3.2 or KDevelop obviously need the updated autoconf and automake and maybe something more to digest my KDevelop based projects.

Iztok