Re: RFC: Two small remote protocol extensions

> ????? Memory is shared between threads, isn't it so ????

This is yet another long overdue problem (I had hope it was fixed in
recent releases) -  gdb lumps together mult-process
debugging with multi-tread debugging and it it does not
excell in any of them.
You mean GNU/Linux?

It seems to me that we have to handle multi-process debugging a-la
vxWorks with a separate gdb instance per process and thus forget about it.
I guess you didn't mean GNU/Linux.

The GNU/Linux and Solaris thread implementation have a specific thread that they use when doing memory operations. That behavour should certainly be extended across the remote protocol so that a remote server can more exactly mimic the behavour of a native GDB. GDB's view of the target's address space is defined by what the target's process can see. If the target's process can't see it, neither can GDB.

Should it be defined by ``Hg'' I guess that open to debate (current implementation doesn't do anything here). However, I think it should be well defined.

When reading or writing memory, gdb specifies a thread.  If it turns out
that the thread disappeared, GDB picks a thread, any thread (the
assumption being that all address spaces are pretty much similar).

Mind you, I've seen thread implementations that implemented per-thread
local data using VM.

It does not mean that everybody else should suffer, it is time to fix
this youthful indiscretion.
Humor me.  So who is suffering?

Andrew