Re: Thread signal information

Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 09:00:43AM -0700, Lucy Zhang wrote:
I'm constructing an ELF core dump (conversion from a different formatted
dump). I'm trying to add thread information by using a prstatus struct for
each thread. I was wondering what should I put for the signal information
for each thread. Do I even need this info for threads other than the
faulting thread?
Not really.  I believe that GDB only recognizes the signal in the first
listed thread (or it may have been the last listed thread.... there was
a fix in this area recently, I believe).  First listed (faulting)
certainly makes the most sense, and GDB definitely only cares about one
thread.
Does one give up anything by doing a postmortem gdb session
rather than a live session?  Obviously one loses the ability to continue,
but what else?  Presumably (once we coax the OS into producing the
proper core dump) we still can do 'info threads' and 'backtrace' on
each thread, right?

(I haven't used core dumps for a long, long time.
Very recently, though, I used a signal handler to do just-in-time
startup of gdbserver to help debug a program running on a 100 node
cluster.  If my nodes had hard disks, I'd be more likely to use
coredumps :-)
- Dan