Threads GDB 5.2 Linux Help Needed

G'Day,
I am currently working on a system that has gdb 5.2 when I debug a threaded program it acts like I have no thread support. However if I take the exact same gdb binary and the same program onto another host it works.

Now I realize that I could be hitting 1000 different things machine hopping however here it is on a working system:

> ./gdb a.out
GNU gdb 5.2
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB. Type "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-linux-gnu"...
(gdb) run
Starting program: /local/gchishol/gdb/bin/a.out
[New Thread 1024 (LWP 15070)]
[New Thread 2049 (LWP 15079)]
[New Thread 1026 (LWP 15080)]
[New Thread 2051 (LWP 15081)]

Here it is on the non working system:

# ./gdb a.out
GNU gdb 5.2
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB. Type "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-linux-gnu"...
(gdb) run
Starting program: /local/local1/core_dir/a.out

Program received signal SIG32, Real-time event 32.
0x2585ede6 in sigsuspend () from /lib/libc.so.6
(gdb)

For the life of me I can not work out what is happening. The libthread_db seems to be available on both hosts. When I strace I can see the non working system open the library on both hosts. In this case it is the pthread.c from the gdb testsuite. The gdb is 5.2 built on the working system, the other does not have a compiler. Am I missing a library? A clue?

Can some one please point me at a starting point to get this working? Where should I look what libraries should I check? What debug can I watch? Anyone got a beer?

glenn