Re: GDB support for thread-local storage

On Tue, Jun 25, 2002 at 09:48:12AM +0100, James Cownie wrote:
> > > But what is stopping us picking up that code, compiling it on the host
> > > (not target), and then using it in GDB?
> >
> > Version skew primarily.
>
> Can you not choose the right version of libthread_db at runtime based
> on the version of linuxthreads and dlopen it in gdb ?
>
> Ideally there'd be some version information in the thread library code
> which gdb could extract in a specified manner, and then a convention
> about how that maps to a the name of a suitable .so version of
> libthread_db.

But there isn't this version information.  We could probably detect the
glibc version number, but these are internal structures, not
interfaces; detecting when they have changed is quite hard.

> This lets you
>
> 1) use libthread_db inside gdb on the host machine
> 2) keep gdb insulated from the version dependency on the thread
>    library.

Nope.  We'd have to be the ones writing such a thread_db; there is no
version that can run on the host machine at present.