Re: [rfc] ``pc'' -> resume_addr?

On Apr 11,  4:38pm, Andrew Cagney wrote:

> GDB, in a number of places, refers to the ``pc'' - PC_REGNUM, frame->pc,
>   read_pc(), write_pc(), ...
>
> I think this name choice was unfortunate.  It is too easy for a
> developer to confuse ``pc'' with the hardware ``pc''.

Could you please explain further why you think the name choice was
unfortunate?

> With this in mind, I'd like to propose a GDBspeak ``resume_addr''.  It
> is the address of the first instruction that will be executed when the
> target resumes.

So, if I understand you correctly, you're suggesting the following
renaming:

    PC_REGNUM	==>	RESUME_ADDR_REGNUM
    frame->pc	==>	frame->resume_addr
    read_pc()	==>	read_resume_addr()
    write_pc()	==>	write_resume_addr()

Perhaps I've just gotten fond of ``pc'', but I don't really like any
of these.

Kevin