Nonblocking GDB stub

Hello!

I've been using GDB for a while, running it with a ARM based board and a

serial connection (remote debugging).

To activate GDB, i'll install a breakpoint on the target and connect GDB
throught that.
Standard behavior.

Now, what i would like to do is to have GDB interact with the target
without the target being stopped.
Yes, this breaks some of the purpose of the debugger, but i would like
to use GDB to analyze memory and datastructures without freezing the
program. The OS i am running do support task-switching, so i was
thinking about making the stub exception_handler non-blocking (e.g.
remove the while(1==1) statement that makes it accept commands until i
kill it), and instead have a call scheduled for it regularly.

Has anyone had experience with doing this? Or know of any place were i
could get more information on this? Is it even feasible?

I looked through Google, but was unable to find anything on this level.

Thank you for your time!

Regards,
Mattias Wildeman