Re: Questions for GDB Developers

I did a little reading on the licensing and yes it does seem that lifting
the code and creating a proprietory "real-time data monitor" would be
against the licensing.  However, I do have a few things in my mind and would
like your opinion on whether it sounds like a good idea:

1)  What I think I could do is lift the symbol handling code and memory
peeking/poking code and create a "debugger" that does not stop the program
and allows monitoring of variables in real-time.  The program will only be
able to read the global variables---no stack variables like a source-line
debugger.  This part would be released under GPL as open-source.  I will
implement C and C++.  Others can add whatever they want later on (and of
course I would like others to help me while I develop this---I don't think I
can do this on my own!!)

2)  The other GUI parts of the monitoring application including plotting,
scripting, etc etc would remain proprietory.  Open-source projects like DDD
could then use the functioality in item 1) to implement real-time monitoring
features.

This way anyone who wants to create such an application will have the hard
part already done---that is symbol handling.  This way the core of the
application will remain open-source and other wil be able to contribute to
it for future enhancements.

I am sure the real-time community would appreciate this.  So what do you
think?

Salman