[rfc] maint note on obsoleting code

In doing 5.1.1 (not my day) and further updating how-to-release I'm
thinking of adding the following under ``Obsoleting targets and code''.

@emph{Maintainer note: Obsoleting a target or code is actually a good
thing.  Firstly it helps the developers by removing code that is either
no longer relevant or simply wrong.  Secondly since it removes any
history associated with the file (effectively clearing the slate) the
developer has a much freer hand when it comes to fixing broken files.}

Does anyone have a better way of expressing this sentiment?

Andrew