Re: Intel Xscale GDB

Vlasios Tsiatsis wrote:

> Hi all!
> I am reposting this problem in case someone can help me.
>
> I have a question about the source code of the Intel Xscale gdb
> residing in the GNUPro toolkit source bundle.
> I downloaded both versions (010413 and 010827) of the source code from
> Intel's website
> (http://developer.intel.com/design/intelxscale/dev_tools/010827/) and
> tried to build them
> on a RedHat Linux 7.1 machine (kernel 2.4.2-2, processor i686, gcc
> version 2.96).

I found the proper way to fix the problem and here it is.
I assume that you expand the GNUPro source code in a directory called
~/gnupro-src/

leon:/home/tsiatsis>ls -al gnupro-src
drwxr-xr-x    6 tsiatsis DomainUs     4096 Jan 16 11:28 ./
drwx------   21 tsiatsis DomainUs     4096 Jan 16 12:09 ../
drwxr-xr-x   45 tsiatsis DomainUs     4096 Jan 15 23:19 src/

In order to get the above system to build the GNUPro tools and GDB for
version 010413 you have to do the following:

1) Comment out the lines 39 and 69 from the file src/gdb/devsw.c.
Those lines have the folowing declaration:

 struct tm lt;

This declaration is useless since the variable lt is never used in the
scope of the functions that is declared. The compiler complains that
it cannot find the declaration of the type "struct tm" therefore cannot
determine the size of this type.

2) Parallel to the directory src create a directory e.g. build. So ls
in gnupro-src will give you something like the following:

leon:/home/tsiatsis>ls -al gnupro-src
drwxr-xr-x    6 tsiatsis DomainUs     4096 Jan 16 11:28 ./
drwx------   21 tsiatsis DomainUs     4096 Jan 16 12:09 ../
drwxr-xr-x   33 tsiatsis DomainUs     4096 Jan 16 11:31 build/
drwxr-xr-x   45 tsiatsis DomainUs     4096 Jan 15 23:19 src/

Change to the directory  ~/gnupro-src/build and execute the following
leon:/home/tsiatsis/gnupro-src/build>../src/configure
--host=i686-pc-linux-gnulibc2.1 --target=xscale-elf

Of course this configure command line is for the toolchain that deals
with the ELF executables. I haven't tried to produce the corresponding
toolchain for the COFF executables.

Can you please add those clarifications in the README of the GNUPro
toolchain?

> I have tried to build them on RedHat Linux 6.2 machine with egcs-2.91.66
> but
> i had no luck.

The same installation instructions hold for this system but you can ommit
step 1.

> I am having problems compiling the gdb sources because of an error in
> the directory src/gdb/i386-linux-nat.c line 102. A data type called
> "gregset_t" is
> not declared anywhere in any header file and this results in a
> compilation
> error.
> I can see that the "configure" program (in the gdb directory) checks
> whether this type is declared in <sys/procfs.h> and it cannot find the
> type gregset_t in this file.
> In the file <sys/procfs.h> the only type that is similar to gregset_t
> is called elf_gregset_t.

vlassis