Re: gdb and dlopen

On Nov 18,  2:45pm, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 17, 2001 at 12:58:38PM -0700, Kevin Buettner wrote:
> > On Oct 17, 12:09pm, Kimball Thurston wrote:
> >
> > > Along the same lines of just trying to clean up unnecessary work, I
> > > was seeing 2 scans of all the open dsos for each dlopen call - it
> > > looks like we are getting 2 BPSTAT_WHAT_CHECK_SHLIBS events (in
> > > infrun.c) for each dlopen which causes us to rescan everything. Is
> > > there a way to distinguish these two events, and only do the scan
> > > once?
> >
> > I haven't looked at how hard it'd be, but it seems to me that it'd
> > be a good idea for gdb to note that a shlib event has happened without
> > immediately doing anything about it.  Then, when the target stops
> > for some other reason (than a shlib event), we handle all of them at
> > once.  This should cut down on the memory traffic greatly.
>
> Actually implementing this, at first glance, is easy.  However, there's
> a couple of interesting issues.  For instance, suppose that we want to
> reset a breakpoint in a shared library; we need to read in the symbols
> for that shared library before we can do that.  If we defer it, and
> there are no other breakpoints, then we'll never set the breakpoint and
> never stop.
>
> Thoughts?

After I proposed the above idea, Peter Schauer emailed me privately
and noted that my idea would "break setting breakpoints in global
object constructor code in shared libraries."  He goes on to say
that the "reenable breakpoint logic after every shlib load currently
takes care of this."

So, it looks like you've also noticed one of the concerns that Peter
had regarding my idea.

The only thing that I can think of is to introduce a GDB setting which
indicates which behavior you want.  Maybe call it
"solib-reenable-breakpoints-after-load" and have it default to "true".
(Which is what it currently does.)

Then, if you care more about speed, you can shut it off if desired.

Thinking about it some more, maybe it would be better extend
auto-solib-add so that it has three settings:

    disabled			(off)
    when-stopped
    as-early-as-possible	(on)

The "disabled" setting would be the same as what you currently get when
you do ``set auto-solib off''.  For the sake of backwards compatibility,
we'd also continue to accept "off" as a synonym for "disabled".

The "when-stopped" setting is the new one which would cause new shared
libs to be checked for (and loaded) only when GDB stops for a non-shlib
event.

The "as-early-as-possible" setting is the same as what you currently
get when you do ``set auto-solib on''.  Again for the the sake of
backwards compatibility, we'd also continue to accept "on" as a
synonym for "as-early-as-possible".

(I'm not very good at thinking of names and won't be at all offended
if someone suggests something better...)

Kevin