From: dann@vino.ICS.UCI.EDU [mailto:dann@vino.ICS.UCI.EDU]On Behalf Of
Dan Nicolaescu
Sent: Saturday, November 03, 2001 1:52 PM
To: gdb@sourceware.cygnus.com; Eric Aversa
Cc: deb_meade@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: Building gdb for sparcv9-sun-solaris2.8

"Eric Aversa" <eaversa@omnesys.com> writes:

  > Let me know if you get anywhere with GDB on this platform. I am
  > also trying to debug 64 bit executables on Solaris 8 (I am
  > compiling both my applications and gdb with gcc-3.0)
                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is one of your problems: GCC-3.0.x _does NOT_ support compiling
64 bit SPARC binaries!!!!

Here is a fragment from install.texi from the GCC source tree:

----
Starting with Solaris 7, the operating system is capable of executing
64-bit SPARC V9 binaries.  GCC 3.1 and later should properly support
this.  GCC 3.0 lacks the infrastructure necessary to support this
configuration properly.  However, if all you want is code tuned for
the UltraSPARC CPU, you should try the @option{-mtune=ultrasparc}
option instead, which should be safe from those bugs and produce code
that, unlike full 64-bit code, can still run on non-UltraSPARC
----

You could try building gdb and your application with either a GCC-3.1
snapshot or a different compiler, as GCC-3.0.x is pretty much
guaranteed not to work for 64 bit compilation.

        --dan