Re: JTAG device for an arm board

Hello,
We are currently using Jeeni for JTAG debuging with gdb.
Before setting this configuration, we have looked for alternative solutions (we use different JTAG emulators).

One could have been to use ARM Multi-Ice JTAG emulator (not so cheap), but to use it, you need a gdb-server distributed in the GNU-PRO-Toolkit from red-hat
(as far as I know, it is not part of the *common* gdb distribution). I have asked to ARM Ltd if they provide a way to connect their Multi-Ice with GDB, and they answered that there were legal issues to be solved before they distribute something.

So, for the moment and as far as I know, Jeeni seems to be the only way for ARM JTAG debug with gdb.

Note : if you have ADS or former SDT, you can do some part of the work with gdb (loading) and other part with AXD or ADW, which offers some enhanced or different functionalities. But as code generation is very different between gnu and ARM toolchains,
either at the language (especially dealing with assembler and C) or linking level, there are limitations with this *cross debugging*.

Regards,

Cyril Germond
PHILIPS Semiconductors
Sophia Antipolis - 06560 Valbonne - France