Unable to access core file until terminate process?

Hi,

I am using:

gdb --version
GNU gdb 5.0

gcc -v
gcc version 2.95.2 19991024 (release)

I have a program which dies with a SIGSEGV (signal 11)
and generates a core file.

When I try to debug this:

gdb myprog core

I get a warning from gdb:
Core was generated by myprog.

warning: you won't be able to access this core file until you terminate
your multi-threaded child process.; do ``info files''

What does this error message mean, and how do I debug this
program?  Doing "info files" displays some information about
the core file, but does not allow me to proceed any further.

Thanks for any help.
--
Craig Rodrigues
http://www.gis.net/~craigr