Re: Who owns gdbserver?

> Daniel> No one admits to it, in MAINTAINERS at least...
>
> I think Stan did, among other things.  As I recall, he realized that
> he wasn't in a position to maintain things properly and stepped back
> from that role.  No one picked up it up since then.

Yes, that is correct.  I'll update the hall of fame.

> I'm not sure I'm up to the task of taking on gdbserver on a full time
> basis, but as a blanket-write-priv maintainer and given my interests
> with remote, I'll certainly help you along.
>
> Daniel> On a related note, I'm trying to think of a way to eliminate
> Daniel> some of the crasser code duplication between gdb and gdbserver
> Daniel> - or rather, right now it's mostly a lack of code duplication,
> Daniel> causing gdbserver not to work terribly well.
>
> This has been a outstanding issue for some time.

I know of the following:

	o	G packet layout

		Here it has been suggested that
		some G packet spec be created so that
		both GDb and GDBSERVER can use it with
		out duplicating that spec.

	o	other arch info

		Core GDB is using multi-arch which means
		that gdbserver can no longer use the
		the current suite of macros with out some
		level of change.

	o	ptrace et.al.

		Since these tend to use gdbarch info they
		have the same problem.

Andrew