Re: [RFC] Inferior stop events

On Fri, 15 Jun 2001, Elena Zannoni wrote:

> Hmmm, memory failing... aging process irreversible....
> I seem to recall we did something for inferior events notification
> Try looking at inferior_event_handler in inf-loop.c.

Ahhh... Two comments:

1) It doen't seem complete.
2) It's not an event source! It posts no events to the event queue...

Even if we could put some sort of event posting into
inferior_event_handler, we're STILL missing reasons for the stop, which
(was) already known by the time this function is called.

> But yes, the reason for stopping is just spit out directly from
> print_stop_reason.  Another thing to keep in mind is that MI was
> designed from the start using an async remote target. That had
> definitely an influence on how we did things. Remember the out-of-band
> output category?

I'm sorry, but I just don't see how this conflicts with what I've done.
IMO, gdb-events.sh and my proposed change is correct (or is at least
closer to being correct). What MI does (print_stop_reason modification) is
wrong. It does not generate an event, which is not hard to believe, given
that MI is really not event driven. It's just another command line with
different input/output syntaxes.

I guess I'm dense -- I do use a GUI for debugging, after all.
Keith