How can I analyze a core from the target on my hostsystem?

Hi,

one of the programs on my PowerPC embedded systems generated a
core file. I want to analyze it on my host pc. Therefore I started my
powerpc-linux-gdb debugger and asked it to load the core, but it
refused:

This GDB was configured as "--host=i586-pc-linux-gnu --target=powerpc-linux".
(gdb)
(gdb)
(gdb) core-file core
GDB can't read core files on this machine.
(gdb)

The gdb running on the target can analyze the core. But I want to
do that on the hostsystem cause in production I will not have access
to the target system anymore, but I will get the core files :-)
and I should analyze them.

So my question:
Is that a misconfiguration of my selfcompiled powerpc-linux-gdb or is that not possible in general, and if it isn't what is the reason for it?
What options do I have if analyzation of the target core file with is not possible on the host? Are there any other tools for that purpose?

Thanks,

Frank

--
Frank Haverkamp