Re: [Mingw-users] Re: _WIN32?

> Date: Thu, 03 May 2001 16:40:59 -0400
> From: Andrew Cagney <ac131313@cygnus.com>
>
> #if defined(_WIN32) || defined(__MSDOS__) || defined(__CYGWIN__):
>
> Remember, GDB is moving away from OS specific tests and towards
> autoconf/feature based tests.  Things like this should be replaced by
> something like WITH_REALLY_TRICKY_FILESYSTEM_SUPPORT test (and
> eventually changed to a runtime switch?).

What do you envision the runtime switch will test?

These conditionals define behavior that depends on the system where
the GDB executable runs.  Since any given GDB binary is by definition
produced for only one type of platform, all the features of that
platform are known at compile time, and there's no need to test
anything at run time.

In other words, gdb.exe compiled on Windows will only run on Windows,
so we can know in advance all the features which will or will not work
when it runs.  And similarly for gdb produced for running on
GNU/Linux.