problems compiling GDB

Hi All
I have downloaded the GDB5.0 tar for installation on my Win2000/AMD Athalon
machine. I am  now trying to install it through cygwin.
After extracting the files, I called the configure script from gdb-5.0
directory. Configure is able to recognise my host as "i686-pc-cygwin' and
then goes on to configure a whole bunch of stuff. It, however, complaints
about  "//d/cvsroot/mercury/lib/tornado/host/x86-win32/bin/sed.exe:
Unexpected End-of-file" and then in the end I get the follwing message
".config/status is unchanged". I am not sure if this means a successfull
configuration or not.

Then if I invoke "make" from the same directory, I get a message "No target
to make*** Stop." If I invoke "make gdb", I get a message "Nothing to be
done for gdb". I am not sure what the cause of the problem is and how to get
this thing to compile.
I got sed.exe with the tornado release, so I am not sure if that file could
be corrupt.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
Sumit