Re: Pascal language support patch preparation

At 16:02 02/03/00 +0100, you wrote:
>   Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 15:16:19 +0100
>   From: Pierre Muller <muller@cerbere.u-strasbg.fr>
>
>   >Patches to create those new p-* files cannot be broken up of course,
>   >but your patch also touches a lot of the other GDB files.  Breaking
>   >those patches up in smaller though functionally related chunks makes
>   >reviewing and applying the patches a lot easier.
>   >
>   >I'd advise you to do the following:
>   >
>   >1. If you need some tweaks in GDB that do not depend on the Pascal
>   >   support itself, start submitting these ASAP.
>
>     I don't think I really have such code !
>
>Are you sure?  The patch I downloaded last fall includes changes to
>breakpoint.c, findvar.c, i387-tdep.c, infcmd.c and source.c that seem
>to be pretty independent of Pascal at first glance.
   Most are obsolete now !

>   >2. Then send the new p-* as one single patch.
>
>    Alone ? tihs would just leave them  unused first !
>
>That's not a problem.  The point is that these changes cannot break
>anything, so they don't need a lot of attention.
>
>   >3. Then send a patch that adds the code to hook in the GDB support.
>
>    OK, here a would have the biggest part of the problems probably
>   because some of the change are not trivial but I agree that I can probably
>   splitt those.
>
>That would indeed be best, since that lets the maintainer of that
>particular part of GDB deal with problems one at a time, which in
>general gets the changes integrated much quicker.

  This reminds me that I have one other patch which is quite smaller but
that is limited to DJGPP target for now.
 It allows to read memory from another selector
this was very usefull for me when I tried to debug the debugger itself and
when I added exception support fro GDB on DJGPP !

This patch consists of the addition of one command that I called "xx"
which is a simple clone of the "x" command but can take a selector
as for intance
   "xx $fs:0x400"
then the next "xx 0x800" keeps using the last selector value.
I do not know if this could be interesting for other i386 targets
(maybe for win32 to be able to see the content of the $fs selector
that contains the exception chain, but I am not sure how if its
readable inside a win32 API program).
  Is such kind of patch too specific to have any chance to get accepted ?
I don't know if it could be of any use for other processors!!

>     For instance a big problem on which I spent a lot of time is to
>   get GDB to accept the fact the pascal is case insensitive
>   this required changes in gnu-regex code !!
>
>I'm sorry to hear that you spent a lot of time on it.  Modifying the
>regex code is something that we should only do as a last resort since
>it is shared with a lot of other GNU packages.  Maybe GDB should use
>the POSIX functions instead of the BSD functions such that REG_ICASE
>can be used when the default language is Pascal.

  I would also prefer a simpler approach because that code
is quite ugly in my opinion!

>On the bright side: Case insensitivity would be convenient, but should
>not be essential for basic Pascal support in GDB.  We should be able
>to address this as a seperate issue.  I'll see what I can do.  For now
>it is probably better to leave out this bit when you send your new
>patches.

  Anyhow I agree that this can and should be done later.

>   >Yes it is, but it isn't the version that was used for reformatting the
>   >GDB sources.  See:
>   >
>   >   http://sourceware.cygnus.com/ml/gdb/1999-q3/msg00014.html
>
>    This not really very informative on the method that was used to do it !
>
>Pardon me?  It clearly states that:  ``[Stan] used indent 1.9.1 (with
>no arguments)''.
  Sorry, I didn't read the message carefully enough it seems :(

Pierre Muller
Institut Charles Sadron
6,rue Boussingault
F 67083 STRASBOURG CEDEX (France)
mailto:muller@ics.u-strasbg.fr
Phone : (33)-3-88-41-40-07  Fax : (33)-3-88-41-40-99