Re: RDI target broken in 000215 snapshot

Grant Edwards wrote:

> Having the load command warn the user if the target and file
> differ might also be something to consider.

The trick is how to know the target endianess.  Also, note that the file
being loaded by the load command ay not have this info.  The file
command is the one that reads files from where this can be determined.

> Does Angel not report it correctly?  The ARM EmbeddedICE is
> broken in that respect, but I don't have a copy of Angel
> running anywhere.

My mistake. I thought you made reference to an Angel board on you 50/50
little statistic.

I have two little-endian boards running two different versions of
Angel.  I will check wen I get back.

But I guess you are right, we should assume that the target RDI protocol
is working properly and check for the endianess.  For the boards/devices
that are broken, the user will have to turn off the auto mode and set
the endianess appropriately on his/her .gdbinit.  Another possibility is
that we just issue a warning (instead of setting the endianess) based on
the result returned from the board.  If it is a board/device with a know
problem of returning the wrong info, the user will just ignore the
warning.  To make GUI users happier, he warning would not be issued if
auto is turned off (what means that the user set deliberately the
endianess so he/she should know what he/she is doing).

BTW: AFAIK Linux-arm is little endian, and that is why Stan and Scott
changed the default.

--
Fernando Nasser
Red Hat, Inc. - Toronto                 E-Mail:  fnasser@redhat.com