5.0 known issues 2000-02-09

Hello,

The below is my take on the current status.  I'll likely follow up in a
few days.

Firstly, I'd like to encourage everyone (so motivated) to do a little
research and build/test gdb on their favorite platform.  A brief summary
(total pass/fail) could then be posted to gdb-testers.  I'd also
encourage (especially for Linux) a brief summary of what was involved in
the build (kernel, glibc, distribution, compiler, ...).

With regard to schedule I've had some pretty uniform push back (ouch!
:-).  For my part I'm still going to try and keep things tight....

Going through the platforms I've so far seen discussed:

GNU/Linux/i386:  This officially puzzles me.  Recently much effort was
spent on fixing both threads and shared libraries / glibc.  Perhaps
there has been minor bit rot since then?  Hopefully little else.  It
could also be an unusual kernel/glibc/... combination.  As mentioned
above, I'd encourage as many people as possible to build/test and report
back some real numbers.

With regard to the currently tabled shlib unload patch. This is the
GNU/Linux maintainer's call.  As a personal opinion, I do have
reservations.  If the Linux maintainer thinks it should go in, I'd
recommend trying to restrict the code to one of the linux specific
files.

GNU/Linux/PPC: It's status is unclear (and is being debated as I write
this).  I have a sinking feeling that it won't be ready until the 5.1
time frame.  Sigh.

Hurd: Mark Kettenis's indicated that he has a number of minor patches
and it should be possible to integrate them in the next few weeks.
(Thanks!).

HPUX: Unfortunately this was knocked about pretty badly by the move to
an external repository (sorry). Jimmy's looking at it along with Jason
and (possibly) Jeff (shared lib problem).  I'm also going to try get
access to a HPUX box and give it a whirl.

Solaris: No feed back, I'll put it on my list of things to do.

Cygwin: Like HPUX, this has suffered badly from the binutils update.  My
understanding is that at present it doesn't build :-(.

FreeBSD: Build fails in (funny enough :-) solib.c :-).

--

Finally, I'd like to give a note of thanks to Jason who spent an entire
weekend getting the new CVS repository up and running on sourceware.

	enjoy,
		Andrew