Re: Dumping memory to file

Dan Hovang wrote:

> Hello again,
>
> I solved it by adding a command, savemem, which does just that. It's
> most likely not a very good solution (it's my fist gdb hack), but I'm
> attaching the diff anyway, in case someone is interested.
>
> /Dan
>
> Dan Hovang wrote:
> >
> > I've got an embedded system running eCos which I'm debugging using
> > gdb over a serial line. I'm looking for ways to save blocks of
> > memory to disk in the good old brutal fashion, for example, after
> > hitting some breakpoing typing:
> > (gdb) save *0x0400 *0x07e8 "screendump"

A few quick BTWs

	o	While I personally have no opinion on
		this command (commands are Fernando's domain)
		I suspect a brief discussion about the
		command, its syntax and how it fits into
		the overall GDB cli may be in order.

		Fernando, thoughts?

	o	I'd encourage you to have a quick read
		of the GNU coding standard:
http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards_toc.html
http://sourceware.cygnus.com/gdb/submit.html

	o	in general patches go to
		gdb-patches@sourceware.cygnus.com

Oh, congrats on remembering to include an update to the
documentation!!!  That is something that is often forgotten.

	enjoy,
		Andrew