Re: Switching to the Lesser GPL

Stan Shebs wrote:

> mmalloc is straightforward; the only consideration might be
> whether we ought to convert it to GPL, much as readline has
> been switched from LGPL to GPL (go to gnu.org licensing pages
> for the whole story).

Done deal.  I've personally no opinion on what the licence should be
changed to.  If the trend is GPL then, it can follow.

> libiberty seems like it should stay LGPL; the main trick here
> is to coordinate with GCC, since all the "GNU Library..." strings
> in source files change to "GNU Lesser...", thus most files will
> be touched.

Co-ordinate or pass the buck? :-)  I think the group that should decide
LIBIBERTY's licence is BINUTILS/BFD.  It will affect them the most.
However, I suspect that they would appreciate any help in walking any
changes through the GCC source tree (which contains much of the official
libiberty) and thence to binutils/gdb.

> sim/ppc is entirely GPL, except for one little file words.h.
> If Andrew is agreeable, I suggest making it GPL too, and dropping
> the LGPL from that dir entirely.

FYI, I started out having PSIM LGPL but then changed my mind.  It would
appear that I never got around to fixing words.h. It can be changed.

	Andrew