Re: GDB on FreeBSD/Alpha

   Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 11:54:41 -0700
   From: "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.org>

   On Mon, May 29, 2000 at 07:25:10PM -0400, Anatoly Vorobey wrote:
   > I understand that David is going to give us gcc 2.96 on FreeBSD soon.
   > Is the bug fixed there?

   4.x will probably stay at 2.95.x (especially with no date on 3.0).  Thus
   we must work around any bugs in 2.95.x.

There's not much I can do on the GDB side.  For FreeBSD 4.x there are
basically two options:

1. Fix gcc 2.95.x such that function argument stabs are emitted after
   a function, instead of before (this would give them the right
   value).

2. Make DWARF 2 the default debugging format for gcc 2.95.x on FreeBSD
   (i.e. configure --with-dwarf2), and modify GDB to ignore the
   .mdebug section if DWARF 2 info is present.  This is a one-line
   hack, but I don't think we can make this change to the official GDB
   version.  It would have to be a FreeBSD only thing.

Personally I'd prefer the first since it's obviously the right thing.

Considering the limitations in gcc 2.95.x for the Alpha, it would be
best if FreeBSD 5.x would use gcc 3.0 as its system compiler.

Mark