Re: target_xfer_memory()

>>>>> "Andrew" == Andrew Cagney <ac131313@cygnus.com> writes:
Andrew> Stu Grossman added the comment and the code back at
Andrew> 04-Jan-97. Look for: Fri Jan 3 12:08:16 1997 Stu Grossman
Andrew> (grossman@critters.cygnus.com) at the end of ChangeLog-97.
Andrew>
Andrew> It was then commented out by Michael Snyder on 03-Apr-97 when
Andrew> he added support for overlays.  Look for: Thu Apr 3 15:10:30
Andrew> 1997 Michael Snyder <msnyder@cleaver.cygnus.com>

Andrew> Given, no one has since said boo (3 years now!) about the
Andrew> removal of that code, I'd agree with any suggestion to delete
Andrew> it.

Whew, those two changelog entries contain what was changed, but it's
hard to tell why.

Taken to it's logical conclusion, removing target_memory_bfd_section
allows us to remove the bfd_section argument from target_xfer_memory();
which allows us to remove target_read_memory_section(); which allows
us to remove read_memory_section(); which allows us to change all of
its callers back to read_memory(); which may allow us to remove section
arguments to those functions that called read_memory(); ...  In short,
this removes much of what Stu added way back then.

Given that the the target_memor_bfd_section global isn't used and
we're just passing around arguments that will be ignored, I have
no problems doing this...

Thoughts?

        --jtc

--