RDI target patch question

I've gotten my RDI target changes cleaned up to the point where
they're only a minor embarrassment, and I want to generate a patch
against 4.18.  I have two questions:

 1) One of the changes involved renaming rdi-share/endian.h
    to rdi-share/anendian.h.  Is there way to generate a patch that,
    in effect, renames a file?

    I think I might be able to come up with a patch file that does
    this, but it would have to delete every single line from the old
    file and insert it into the new one.  Thus the patch file would
    contain two copies of the entire contents of the renamed file.
    This seems a bit inelegant.

 1) I modified rdi-share/Makefile.in so that the Makefile
    generated by configure contains the renamed include file.
    I tried to changing Makefile.am and regenerating Makefile.in
    using automake, but at the end of the process I never ended
    up with a Makefile that worked.

    Should I just make corresponding changes by hand to Makefile.in
    and Makefile.am and generate a patch from that?

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com