Re: "u" alias

   From: Tom Tromey <tromey@cygnus.com>
   Date: 30 Aug 1999 21:39:35 -0600

   Tonight I discovered that the command "u" is an alias for "until".  I
   don't like this.  I've literally never used the "until" command.
   However, I do use the "up" command every single time I run gdb (I
   can't remember not using it), and I expected "u" to alias "up" by
   default.  Can we change this?

I'm pretty reluctant to do this change.  "up" is only two chars, takes
microscopically longer to type, and so it doesn't seem like a
compelling enough problem to change the standard command set.

   This is ancient code, so I'm sure I'll hear the "somebody relies on
   this" argument.  But does anybody really?  Can we take a poll or
   something?

I would really like to be able to do polls, but the problem is that
there isn't a good list for this.  gdb-announce will get the largest
audience, but even it's kind of small.  I know RMS used to, and maybe
still does, have some way to poll people about proposed Emacs changes;
is anybody up-to-date on that process?

								Stan