Re: GDB-Protocol: Cycle step command?

>>>>> "Andrew" == Andrew Cagney <ac131313@cygnus.com> writes:
Andrew> Hello, I'd like to propose that the GDB remote protocol be
Andrew> extended to support a cycle step command.  This command would
Andrew> be used when either interacting with physical control devices
Andrew> such as JTAG or (more often) cycle accurate simulators.
Andrew>
Andrew> Possible syntaxes include:
Andrew>     QCycle=<NR>
Andrew> and i<NR>
Andrew>
Andrew> comments suggestions additional data people thing may be
Andrew> needed.  Unlike the ``S'' and ``C'' commands I've not included
Andrew> an address.  Changing the address in a cycle accurate model
Andrew> can get very complex.

This seems incomplete.

If you have a command to step through processor cycles, don't you also
need cooresponding commands to extract processor state (pipeline, tlb,
cache, btb, etc.).  Without such commands, I fail to see the value in
being able to step in this manner.

	--jtc

--
J.T. Conklin