Re: 4.17.85 Feedback

>>>>> "Jim" == Jim Blandy <jimb@cygnus.com> writes:
jtc> Is the tui interface supposed to be usable on all platforms?

Jim> Well, kind of.  The code isn't up to the standards of the rest of
Jim> GDB --- for example, it contains HPPA-specific code --- and we
Jim> don't have a lot of resources allocated to clean it up.

TUI is clearly not up to GDB standards, which begs the question why it
was integrated in its current condition.

>> Perhaps the #include of tui headers needs to be removed from defs.h
>> and included in the handful of source files that interface with the
>> tui library.

Jim> If you could come up with a patch that:
Jim> - makes the TUI work on Linux,
Jim> - insulates the rest of GDB from curses's namespace problems, and
Jim> - doesn't perturb the rest of GDB much,
Jim> then I'd apply it.

TUI doesn't seem to offer me or the users I support much benefit, so
the only reason I have to do this is my desire to improve GDB.  If I
have time, I may put some effort into it.  However, IMO the onus for
bringing TUI to an acceptable belongs squarely on the shoulders of
those who contributed it.

        --jtc

--
J.T. Conklin