Re: New GDB snapshot available

> > Of course the glibc approach to thread debugging won't work with
> > Solaris.  Since the thread debug lib doesn't exist yet, I was
> > assuming that when you were referring to 4.17.0.11, you meant the
> > OSF version of thread debugging, which is not portable and makes
> > many changes to code shared by all platforms.  What thread debugging
> > code is in 4.17.0.11?
> >
> Do you really mean that there is a portable way of debugging user-level
> implementation of thread package ? If it is the case, then I don't
> understand why you accept a hpux-thread.c file in the gdb sources and
> not a linux-thread.c one (which I tried to develop without any processor
> dependencies, so that it should work with any Linux, but of course not
> with Solaris ;-).

That is true. The thread debug in gdb 4.17.0.11 works on x86 and alpha.
I don't have other Linux machines to test on. I think it should work
with minimal changes. But I need either a Linux machine or someone
who is familiar with low level stuff to test some small changes.

> Finally, what I deeply deplore is that it is not fair to give technical
> reasons of not inserting linux-threads support in the upcoming gdb-4.18,
> because I offered my time to the gdb team last summer to help them
> introducing linux-threads in the reference tree, but never received any
> answer except that inserting support for hpux-threads was the main
> priority. Now, it is too late since I am very busy on other projects.
> The only thing that I will do in the near future is to provide Linus
> Torvalds with kernel patches of the small bugs I have discovered with
> this development.

There are some minor problems with your original thread patch
which prevent gdb to compile at least on Solaris/x86. I have
fixed them in gbd 4.17.0.11. I think I have an agreement with
Jim to put your thread support in gdb 4.19. I will do my best
to work with him to make it happen.

> Best regards,
> -Eric (original developer of the linux-thread support in gdb-4.17)
> P.S. Sorry for my bad English ...

I didn't know your name and email address when I merged your thread
patch into my gdb. I have fixed it in my gdb now. Sorry for that.

BTW, thanks for your thread work.

--
H.J. Lu (hjl@gnu.org)