This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GDB project.
Re: [PATCH] [RFC] gdb: add disable-docs option
- From: Romain Naour <romain dot naour at openwide dot fr>
- To: Doug Evans <dje at google dot com>, gdb-patches <gdb-patches at sourceware dot org>, Yao Qi <yao dot qi at linaro dot org>, Thomas Petazzoni <thomas dot petazzoni at free-electrons dot com>
- Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2015 10:58:03 +0200
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] [RFC] gdb: add disable-docs option
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <1441532245-23124-1-git-send-email-romain dot naour at openwide dot fr> <20150924211221 dot GA10729 at vapier dot lan> <CADPb22T=r=hUUrAdr2WK_Xb=Bywwvx8svvNUP-2MHqSwf78KrQ at mail dot gmail dot com>
Thanks for your reply!
Le 24/09/2015 23:46, Doug Evans a Ãcrit :
> On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 2:12 PM, Mike Frysinger <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
>> On 06 Sep 2015 11:37, Romain Naour wrote:
>>> If makeinfo is not found in the system then the missing
>>> script is used to warn the user.
>>> Before commit e30465112ed4c6320dd19107302057a5f7712cf2 the missing
>>> script returned 0 after printing the message.
>>> Now, missing return 127 (command not found) to the Makefile and
>>> the build fail.
>>> As suggested , add a new option to disable the documentation.
>> aren't info pages shipped as part of the release ? so even if makeinfo isn't
>> available, it doesn't matter as the pages aren't regenerated on the user's
>> system. maybe you're applying patches to the source that cause the docs to be
>> regenerated ? if that's the case, i think disabling the docs entirely is the
>> wrong way to go. instead it should be skipping the regeneration step and
>> installing the pages that already exist. alternatively, you can adjust your
>> build to update the timestamps of the generated files so the build won't try
>> to regenerate them.
> Sometimes releases have gone out with bad timestamps which need to be
> fixed, but yeah there should be no need to disable doc generation.
Actually, I really want to disable the documentation entirely since all
documentation installed by packages (like gdb) are automatically removed from
the generated filesystem at the end of the build (see  and ).
Until gdb 7.8, ac_cv_prog_MAKEINFO=missing was used to workaround the build
issue when makeinfo was missing. But it's not enough since gdb 7.9.