Re: Versioned symbols in elfutils and uClibc

Hi Max,

On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 12:18:10AM +0300, Max Filippov wrote:
> I've got a segfault in ltrace on uClibc-based system, caused by infinite
> recursion in the dwfl_report_elf function [1]. This happens because there
> is no symbol versioning support in uClibc and there are two versions of
> that function, one of them calling the other.

elfutils really depends on symbol versioning to keep ABI compatibility.
I cannot say I am a fan of supporting a libc that doesn't support it.

> Does the below patch look
> like a good solution to this?

It does. Before pushing it I have added ChangeLog entries and added an
extra warning in configure.ac to make clear this isn't recommended. You
are on your own if you use this configure option though.

What do the test results look like on your setup?

Thanks,

Mark