Re: [patch v7 3/5] x86* unwinder: libdwfl/

On Thu, 2013-10-24 at 21:54 +0200, Jan Kratochvil wrote:
> > Looks good. Only slightly concerned about the missing SIGSTOP issue.
>
> Implemented.

Thanks for your research and explanation.
Sad it is needed. But good we understand why now.

> +  if (linux_proc_pid_is_stopped (tid))
> +    {
> +      /* See gdb/linux-nat.c linux_nat_post_attach_wait.  */
> +      syscall (__NR_tkill, tid, SIGSTOP);
> +      ptrace (PTRACE_CONT, tid, NULL, NULL);
> +    }

I do think you should add a bit more comment here. Not everybody will
have gdb sources handy. Just something like:

/*  Make sure there is a SIGSTOP signal pending even when the process is
    already STOPPED.  Older kernels might fail to generate a SIGSTOP in
    that case in response to our PTRACE_ATTACH above.  Which would make
    the waitpid below wait forever.  So emulate it.  Since there can
    only be one SIGSTOP pending this is safe.
    See also gdb/linux-nat.c linux_nat_post_attach_wait.  */

It is a pity we have to do this check always. If there was a way to
detect buggy kernels once that would be great. But I don't see how.

Patch looks good.

Thanks,

Mark