Re: Aliasing troubles in dwarf_getaranges with gcc 4.4

On Thu, 2009-06-18 at 13:56 -0700, Roland McGrath wrote:
> > libdwP.h:540: error: dereferencing pointer ?readp.44? does break strict-aliasing rules
> > dwarf_getaranges.c:152: note: initialized from here
> > libdwP.h:519: error: dereferencing pointer ?readp.44? does break strict-aliasing rules
> > dwarf_getaranges.c:174: note: initialized from here
>
> Please file a gcc bug about this internal name (".44") appearing in the
> error message.  It should show the source-level construct.

Sorry, it seems to escape whenever I try to simplify the example, it
must be some combination of the inlines, macro defines and casts. But
except for the full original source I have been unable to replicate it
in a anything smaller that could be used for a bug report.

> > Current git master has the following aliasing issue with gcc 4.4:
>
> Thanks for noticing.  I switched to F-11 and thus gcc-4.4 a few days ago,
> but my elfutils build had CFLAGS=-g (no -O2) and didn't produce these
> warnings.
>
> I did some constification to clean things up.

Thanks. That makes more sense than my local "cleanup".

Cheers,

Mark